Coryell County Sheriff's Office (Mental Health Deputy Position)
Position Title: Deputy Sheriff – Crisis Intervention Unit
Department: Coryell County Sheriff’s Office
Reports To: Sheriff
FLSA Type: Non-Exempt
Summary of Responsibilities:
Position requires highly motivated individuals that have a strong desire to work with persons in crisis intervention situations, as well as those in the medical, psychological and other social services professions, as needed, to support the operations of the Crisis Intervention Team of the Coryell County Sheriff’s Office.
Persons shall be willing to assist the unit as needed, successfully attend advanced training courses in the area of mental health, and other training as needed and be able to work flexible hours.
Provides service, information, and aid to all citizens as circumstances require; prevents crime and suppresses disturbances; investigates criminal offenses; arrest offenders.
Responsible for enforcement duties for the protection, safety, and welfare of citizens and property under the jurisdiction of the county.
Essential Responsibilities and Functions:
* Exercises independent judgment within the limits prescribed by law, rules, and regulations, and by departmental policies and procedures.
* Preserves the peace, intercedes to prevent crime, and provides service, information, and directions to citizens.
* Arrests offenders without warrant where authorized by law.
* Conducts initial investigations criminal offenses to detect and arrest criminals.
* Requires driving out of town with persons in need of hospitalization to other mental health facilities.
* Arrives to work on time, is prepared to perform assigned duties and work assignments schedules.
* Ability to work well with others.
* Readily complies with departmental and county-wide policies and procedures.
* Divert persons, with possible mental illness, from the criminal justice system and transport them to the closest appropriate inpatient mental health facility or Crisis Respite Center.
* Divert persons, with possible mental illness, from the criminal justice system out of the Copperas Cove City jail or the Coryell County jail and transport them to the closest appropriate inpatient mental health facility or Crisis Respite Center.
* Execution of Magistrate's Order for Emergency Apprehension and Detention (Mental Health Warrant) as requested by Magistrates.
* Execution of Notification of Emergency Detention by Peace Officer for consumers identified as potentially in imminent danger of harm to self/others as identified by MCOT staff and the Mental Health Deputies.
* Participate in civil commitment hearings of subjects who they have encountered as being in mental health crisis.
* Transportation/accompaniment of clients for medical clearance as required by inpatient facilities.
* Providing safety monitoring on site as requested by MCOT staff.
* Assist the Coryell County Patrol Deputies on calls when persons may present with possible mental health issues.
* Assist Copperas Cove & Gatesville Police Department on calls when persons may present with possible
mental health issues.
* Serves warrants, capias, court orders and other legal processes; locates and arrests persons wanted on
warrants or court orders.
* Participates in work involving juveniles, making preliminary and/or detailed investigation and follow-
up, referring such cases as needed to Juvenile Court.
* The physical demands and environmental factors listed as well as regular attendance are also essential functions for this position.
* Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Salary: Depending on experience.
Excellent benefits including: Scott and White Medical, Dental, Paid holidays, Opportunity to increase salary through incentives (college degree, level of Peace Officer license) and experience pay (depending on work history).
The proceeding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees to do this job.