Position Details: Jail Administrator
Location: Rockport, TX
Salary Range: $52,382.39/annual
Application Available - Aransas County Employment
SUMMARY OF POSITION
- Reports to: Sheriff/Chief Deputy
- Directs: Detention Center employees
- Other: Has daily contact with departmental employees, other law enforcement agencies, inmates, vendors, Judges, attorneys, other county offices, federal, state and local agencies, and the general public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Ensure custody and control of inmate population;
- Formulate and implement policies and procedures applicable to jail operations;
- Develop job descriptions that include clear parameters of responsibility and accountability;
- Manage, review, and address any matters involving employee performance including both disciplinary action and commendations;
- Advise, consult, and discuss with the Sheriff and Chief Deputy any matters relative to the Detention Center;
- Participate as needed to develop agency-wide policies, programs, and procedures;
- Interact with other agencies, commissions, and offices as the representative for the Detention Center;
- Prepare the budget for the Detention Center, monitor expenditures related to the budget, and compile data and prepare reports as directed or needed;
- Maintain satisfactory compliance with the Texas Commission on Jail Standards in all areas of operations;
- Ensure compliance with all statutes, rules, regulations, and court orders relevant to the inmate population;
- Communicate, address, and respond to Federal, State, and Local agencies and commissions and to the public relative to Detention Center operations, rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Address and resolve complaints that arise relevant to the Detention Center;
- Prepares list and supervises inmate transfers to Texas Department of Criminal Justice – Corrections Division;
- Regular attendance required;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by Sheriff or Chief Deputy;
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the Texas Commission on Jail Standards & Regulations;
- Communications skills, both oral and written with proper use of English and grammar;
- General office skills and computer skills;
- Ability to supervise and manage all subordinate personnel assigned to the Detention Center in accordance with agency policies, rules, regulations, and applicable statutes;
- Ability to address and resolve complaints that arise relevant to the Detention Center.
Certificates, Licenses, Experience and Training
- High school graduation or GED equivalent;
- Valid Texas Driver's License.
- Jailer Certification as issued by TCOLE is required.
- Prefer three years of experience in a Jail or Correctional Facility.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to see, hear, smell, and feel at a level commensurate with the jail environment;
- Subject to sitting, walking, standing, bending, reaching and twisting to perform the essential job functions which can include 1) Running after inmates; 2) Subduing violent inmates.
- Ability to lift/move/carry 10-20 lbs. frequently and 20-50 lbs. occasionally.
- Must be physically fit to the extent necessary to subdue or temporarily physically restrain a non-compliant inmate;
- Ability to work rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, and serve on call 24/7.