Notice is hereby given that the Stephens County Sheriff’s Office (TX), is currently accepting applications for the following position(s):
Jail Administrator (Full-Time)
Stephens County (Breckenridge, TX and greater area)
$17.58/HR if also a Certified Peace Officer (plus yearly longevity pay)
$14/HR with prior jail management/supervision experience & no peace officer license (plus yearly longevity pay)
Health Insurance, Dental & Vision Insurance, Vested Retirement at 8 Years, Reasonable Overtime Pay, Work for a Modern, Professional Agency in a Rural, Small Town, Vacation & Sick Time.
Private Office in Jail; Low Cost of Living; Lots of Hunting, Fishing, & Outdoor Activities for You and Your Family; See the Effects of Your Service on the Jail & Community; Take-Home Vehicle (On-Duty Use Only)
Monday thru Friday 8AM to 5PM, & filling in/helping where needed for Overtime
Please turn in our county wide employment application and resume at the Sheriff’s Office between the hours of 8AM and 5PM, Monday through Friday, until such time as the position has been filled. You may also email them to: email@example.com.
Stephens County Employment Application
- Must be a TCOLE Certified Jailer. Preference for past Jail Administrators, but not required if equivalent or sufficient experience exists.
- Preferred, but not Required, to have passed the TCJS Jail Administrators Exam.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Must be a High School Graduate or Possess a GED Equivalent.
- Must be in Good Physical and Mental Health and Free of any Drug Dependency or Illegal Drug Use (A Fitness Exam, Drug Screen, Polygraph, Medical Exam, and Psychological Assessment are required prior to appointment).
- Must be FREE of any Criminal Record (Above the grade of Class “C” Misdemeanor).
- Must Possess a Valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Must have Reliable Transportation with Proof of Automobile Insurance.
- Must be Willing and Able to Work Some 12 Hour Shifts from Time to Time.
Applicants will be screened and subjected to a complete background investigation. Selected applicants will be notified for an interview. No information will be disclosed before or during the screening process. Professional resumes are strongly encouraged to be included with your application.
“Drifter” jailers and those with a negative work history at another rural agency need not apply. We are a small, but ethical and professional agency. There is no “good ole boy” system here.
Basic Job Responsibilities
- Oversee and Manage All Operations of the Jail & Lead the Staff
- Report to & Seek Guidance from the Chief Deputy and the Sheriff.
- Prepare & Organize Reports for Submission to Texas Commission on Jail Standards (TCJS).
- Ensure that Regulations & Best Practices are Being Met According to TCJS.
- Supervise 4 Jail Shift Sergeants Who Oversee Two Detention Officers Per Shift.
- Proactively Communicate with TCJS & Other Professionals in the County Jail Profession to Regularly Ensure that Our Jail is the Best it Can Be.
- Help Coordinate the Weekly Transports of Inmates to Court, Prisons, Etc.
- Lead by Example.
- Evaluate Your 4 Shift Supervisors. Help Conduct Internal Investigations & Inmate Infractions.
The Office of the Sheriff of Stephens County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.