JOB POSTING: Open until filled
The Goliad County Jail is a 48-bed facility located in the City of Goliad, Goliad County Texas. This posting is for a jailer position in our 24/7 facility with variable day and night shifts.
Starting salary is $14.07 per hour.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guard inmates in detention institution in accordance with established policies, regulations and procedures.
- Observe conduct and behavior of inmates to prevent disturbances and escapes. Inspect locks, cells, etc. for tampering.
- Search inmate cells for contraband articles. Guard and direct inmates during work assignment.
- Prepare and submit reports and observations to a supervisor. Officer may be required to physically restrain inmates in order to maintain discipline among other inmates when necessary.
- Escort and guard inmates in transit to and from medical appointments, in transit between jail and courtroom, and jail and prison, or other points while traveling in automobile.
- Prepare written reports concerning incidents of inmate disturbances or injuries.
- General knowledge of computers and basic office equipment.
- Prepare and serve meals, books, mail and property to inmates. Maintain facility in a clean and orderly manner.
- Aids shift supervisors in the dispensing of medications.
Ability to lift a minimum of 40 lbs., harness and function with a Scott Air-Pack.
Basic requirements to qualify for licensure as a Detention Officer in Texas:
- Citizen of the United States of America.
- Earned a high school diploma or a GED.
- Have never been convicted, pled guilty, nor have been on court-ordered community service/probation or deferred adjudication for a Class A misdemeanor or a felony.
- During the last 10 years, have not been convicted, pled guilty, been on community service/probation or deferred adjudication for a Class B misdemeanor in this state, other state, or while serving in the military.
- Have never had a military court martial that resulted in a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License at the time of hiring for the position.
Our hiring process includes the following steps: Criminal History Review, Pre-Employment Packet Review, Jail Tour, Oral Interview Board, Review of Personal History, Statement and Documents,
Physical Examination, Drug Screen, Psychological Examination and Background Investigation.
Unlicensed jailers shall complete the basic TCOLE Jailer's License course within one year of employment, or termination will occur. The Goliad County Sheriff's Office is an equal opportunity employer.
Application form is available on the agency website https://www.goliadcountyso.org
The Goliad County Sheriff's Office appreciates your interest and you may contact our agency by contacting: Gary Diaz, Jail Administrator at 361-645-3451.