STARTING SALARY: $35,690
SUMMARY: The purpose of this position is to provide custodial care necessary for the security and well being of inmates confined in the Rockwall County Detention Center. This is accomplished by maintaining peace within the jail; inspecting inmates for contraband; processing inmates into and out of the jail and ensuring security is not breached.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains peace within jail; processes inmates into and out of facility; searches and fingerprints prisoners; ensures sick or injured inmates receive medical attention; prepares and maintains inmate records; maintains inmate property; inspects facility housing units for cleanliness; inspects inmate mail and contraband; issues supplies for inmates; responds to fire alarms.
- Trains and evaluates the work of staff members when needed.
- Monitors control room security cameras for officer and inmate movement; logs movements; participates in fire drills; ensures doors are opened and closed with safety and security in mind; operates control panels that accesses movement throughout the facility; answers telephone; ensures security is not breached; observes/monitors inmates during recreation and visitation periods.
- Maintains visual observation and documents inmates within the housing units, provides food and medication to inmates, escorts inmates to court and doctor appointments, searches inmates and housing units, and monitors.
- Performs intake of inmates by accepting inmates from arresting officer; conducts medical and mental health screenings; logs and stores inmate property; searches inmates for contraband; prepares inmate files; conducts classification of inmates and performs finger printing; takes mug shots; allows two (2) phone calls for inmate and performs criminal history checks/ CCQs.
- Provides courteous and informative customer service to the public.
- Facilitates inmate visitations by conducting warrant checks on visitors; ensuring visitors are following EPOs; enforces visitor dress code; organizes visitation groups and maintains visitation lists.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY /BUDGET RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position has no supervisory or budget responsibility.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read, write, understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to take fingerprints and maintain records.
- Must be able to learn basic computer skills within a timely manner and must be able to learn communication skills to communicate effectively with inmates.
- Knowledge of computer software such as JMS; Keefe Commissary software; Omnixx; Ableterm; Securus; Manager Plus, Guard One and Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Knowledge of requirements of the Texas Commission on Jail Standards, County, State and Federal laws governing Detention Center standards.
- Ability to use restraint chairs; handcuffs; belly chains; metal detectors; shackles; and fire breathing apparatus.
- Basic understanding of MHMR.
- Ability to prepare records and reports.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to obtain Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) County Jailer Certification within twelve (12) months of employment.
- Ability to physically defend self and others.
- Valid Texas Driver's License.
This position works in an office, outdoors and in the jail facility with frequent exposure to environmental conditions. Exposure to health and safety conditions is occasional. Required protective equipment includes SCBA and latex free rubber gloves, Guard One pipe, handcuffs, leg restraints, OC Spray and radios. Fine dexterity, walking, vision, foot controls, balancing, hearing, twisting and talking are constantly required. Frequently, standing, lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, and bending are required. Sitting, reaching and handling are occasionally required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
The Detention Division Application is available on the Rockwall County website at www.rockwallcountytexas.com or the Rockwall County Sheriff's Office. Return applications in person or mail to: Rockwall County Sheriff's Office/Detention Division, 950 T.L. Townsend Drive, Rockwall, TX 75087. Faxed or emailed applications will not be considered.
*Job offers are contingent upon successful completion of pre-employment drug testing and background investigation.
CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED